Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Tiada Seuniknya"


The best-known festival celebrated by the Melanaus is the Kaul Festival (Pesta Kaul). Originating from the animistic beliefs traditionally held by the Melanaus, the Pesta Kaul is held annually in April, as a purification and thanksgiving to appease the spirits of the sea, land, forests and farm. for us, (I mean the Melanaus' "orang tua") -we call it IPOK.

This festival is celebrated by the Melanau people living in the coastal settlements in Mukah. Through the festival, the Melanau people offer their thanks to the Ipok for keeping them safe through the monsoon season, and ask for a good bounty on their fishing trips.

Today, however, the Pesta Kaul is celebrated more as a cultural festival, rather than a religious one. One of the highlights of this festival is the tibau a traditional giant swing sometimes 20-feet high, from which youths would dive down to catch a swinging rope. But this year, the one that was highlited the most is the "Teluaih Jinih" (beauty pageants), That's what i thought, maybe because i went watching it, n so do other people n the place was crowded too. There are also performances of traditional dance such as the alu alu and display of martial art performances.

But now, I'm not going to talk more than that about it, but more to my experience celebrating it myself. Since I was in Sainsku, I celebrated Pesta Kaul in the %^&*( dorm and usually during exams.I hated it when my parents keep telling me they're enjoying Pesta Kaul as much as I enjoy studying.. wat??? enjoy they said??? Alright2... keep all the anger aside, and lets talk about something nice... its 3 AM in the morning Jimie, type faster!!!

this year, Im attending it,, even the prePesta Kaul.. dont believe me??

Im here!!! ignore the motorcycle... my moms said it was annoying. AGREEE!!!!

For me, this event is more like a food or key chain selling,,, or maybe all the "jualan lambak" here and there...but still I like it laa... Long2 time ago, it was also kinda food festival but "we" feed the Ipok. These are wat they eat...

I'm not pretty sure coz my aunt told me this... but this one in the pic, its for me k~ Ipok is just a myth. (I hope Ipok doesn't read my blog), thanks to these ladies (one of them is my bestie's mom, Intan Shaheere's mother) for making it a delicious 1!! wats important? its free~
see!! My mom just bought me something more to eat. WHEN WILL IT STOP??!!! (if u r a true followers, ull know)
One more thing that I know and u people should know too,,,is a "serahang".. last time it was used to dine the spirits of sea. but today, its just another symbol of Pesta Kaul. n, I dont have to be worried holding this one~
~Serahang~ (hardly found any food in them nowadays)
Besides that, another word I mentioned earlier is "tibau". here it is;
can only take picture from distance. waa.. cannot continue... lack of pic n energy... need to go to sleep. Ill be at the "Tapak Pesta Kaul" again n take more photos. will continue this entry if there's more time n pict~ Pesta Kaul 2011 theme; Tiada Seuniknya... memang pown~ org blah sane xkn nk buat jgak pesta2 kaul nih... U should attend 1 before u "go"... happy reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment